This week’s harvest was really good – 10 1/2 pounds. That gave our yearly total a nice jump to 29 pounds. We ate our first ripe strawberry today – oh my gosh it was so juicy and sweet – can’t wait for more of those! Our strawberry bed is just in its second year, so we won’t get a lot from it, but we will enjoy each and every one!
We started the week by cutting our garlic scapes. Garlic scapes are the flower buds that form from hardneck garlic. You should cut them so the plant puts all its energy into the bulb, instead of a flower. This is our first year growing hardneck garlic (which you plant in the fall and mulch over the winter and they resume growing in the spring). So we didn’t know what to expect or do with the scapes. I trimmed them all and just put them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. I read that they will hold for a few weeks just stored like that. We so far have been using them anywhere we might use a clove of garlic, substituting about one scape per clove of garlic. Think meat marinade, salad dressing, I even slipped a couple in the jar of dill pickles I made. The garlic should be ready to harvest in about 3 to 4 weeks from now, when the bottom 3 leaves have dried and turned brown.
We enjoyed a nice big head of Salad Bowl lettuce along with more of our radishes. I pulled so many radishes, I had to find something to do with them all besides eating in our salads. I ended up trying a Radish Dip, which wasn’t too bad along with some crackers – or slices of the big radishes.
The beets were late getting planted as we had to clear out the weeded mess in that bed and replace the wood surrounding the bed. We got the seeds in on June 13 and they started to appear June 18. Covering the bed with Agribon helped speed up the germination. I spent some time weeding and thinning them out this week, using a sharp pair of scissors to carefully snip the extra sprouts. The raised bed the beets are in measures 3 feet wide by 16 feet long. I saved the sprouts and added them to our green salad. That added 3.5 ounces to our harvest total – hey, every little bit counts, right?
The jalapeno plants looked like they had enough peppers to pick for Candied Jalapenos, so I went for it. Got a bowl full that weighed about 3/4 pound. Was enough to make two 1/2 pint jars. I stole a couple purple potatoes from the potato bed too just to see how they were doing. Had them simply boiled with butter and salt. They were delish!
Ended the week by harvesting one of our huge German Giant radishes and our first Derby Day cabbage! The cabbage was good size, tightly formed, didn’t have any sort of bug damage, and weighed in at 2 3/4 pounds. I planted too many of them at once, so we will have lots of cabbage over the next couple weeks. I’ll have to remember to stagger the plantings better next year.